World Sleep Society invites qualified individuals interested in serving as an officer and/or member of the Governing Council—the leadership structure of World Sleep Society—to self-nominate for the 2022-2023 term by October 31, 2021.
Officers and Governing Council members are elected from membership to serve a two-year term starting at our scientific congress, World Sleep 2022 in Rome. Information about World Sleep Society, Governing Council and officers, and committee structure is available within our bylaws. We are seeking candidates to fill 3 officer positions (President-Elect, Secretary and Treasurer) as well as 5 regional members (one each from Europe, North America, South or Central America, Asia or Australia and Africa).
Individuals can submit their interest to the Nominating Committee by October 31, 2021 for further consideration. A decision by the Nominating Committee will be made by November 2022 for names to be included on the ballot. Information submitted will be made public if the name is included in the final ballot.
To self-nominate, you must include:
- Letter of interest (maximum of 2 pages) which details:
- Your past leadership roles in sleep medicine and/or research.
- Your vision for the future of World Sleep Society.
- Which geographic region you are established in (for multi-country practice, select the location you reside in more than 50% of the time).
- Biosketch in CV format (6 page limit). If unavailable, NIH offers a blank template to complete.
- Completed COI form for disclosure of potential conflict of interest that includes the past three years (January 2019 to December 2021). Download COI form.
Completed nominations must be emailed, mailed or faxed to World Sleep Society by October 31, 2021.
Email: [email protected]
Mail: 3270 19th Street NW, Suite 109, Rochester, MN 55901
The Nominating Committee will be evaluating several candidates for the position based on the following factors:
- Prior involvement and/or leadership in a sleep-related organization/society (i.e. member of a board of directors, chair of university, committee member at institution)
- Prominence within sleep medicine and/or research
- Participation in national and international societies
- Academic/professional degree (MD, PhD or equivalent)
- Prior involvement with World Sleep Society, WASM and/or WSF
- Vision for World Sleep Society
- Active engagement in sleep and/or circadian research and/or training, with commitment to the advancement of the field as a whole.
Secondary factors considered include geographic location, area of interest and background experience. World Sleep Society values diversity within the sleep field and recognizes and promotes diversity within leadership positions from individuals with multiple demographics including race, gender, ethnicity, religion, age, sexual orientation and disabilities to ensure an inclusive environment.
Our election process will include at least two candidates for each position on the ballot. The Nominating Committee will develop a slate of candidates by 4-months prior to voting, which will take place from March 1, 2022 until the World Sleep 2022 congress in Rome. Names can be added to the ballot up until one month prior to voting if there is a presentation of 10 names that support the nomination.
The elected officers’ and Governing Council term begins at the World Sleep 2022 Rome congress, and concludes at the 2023 World Sleep congress in Rio de Janeiro during September 2023. The President-Elect in 2022 will automatically transition to the President position in 2023 and serve until the 2025 congress (date and location to be determined). Thank you for considering this important position within World Sleep Society.
Charles Morin, PhD
2022 Nominating Committee Chair
On behalf of World Sleep Society Nominating Committee