The Australasian Sleep Association (ASA) began by a small group of passionate people and is the peak scientific body in Australia & New Zealand representing clinicians, scientists and researchers in the broad area of Sleep. Its many functions include:
- Promoting education and training in sleep health and sleep medicine within its membership
- Fostering research
- Establishing clinical guidelines
The ASA is a company limited by guarantee and is run by a Board of Directors consisting of elected members of the Association. Now recognised as a Health Promotion Charity and is registered with Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC). ASA has DGR status allowing donations to the ASA to be tax deductible to the donor.
The mission of the Australasian Sleep Association (ASA) is to lead and promote sleep health and sleep science in Australia and New Zealand and to facilitate the professional development of its members by providing education and training, fostering research and establishing clinical standards within the field.
Provision of world standard research, education and training, and establishment of clinical standards to ensure clinical best practice in sleep medicine resulting in an informed community with healthy sleep practices.
In order to achieve its Mission, the ASA will:
- Promote Education and Training in sleep health and sleep science within its membership and the other health related professions
- Foster Research in sleep health and sleep science
- Establish Clinical Standards within the profession and industry
- Be the recognised Voice of sleep expertise
- Advocate for the professional development of members
- Keep members and the community Informed about all matters relating to sleep health and sleep science
- Provide Services to members