The Nominating Committee will determine the names and eligibility of individuals placed on the ballot for election as Officers and Elected Council Members. Under normal circumstances, elections will be held for all Officer and Elected Council Member positions, except president (because the president-elect ascends to presidency) every two years. The Nominating Committee will be chaired by the past-president. There must be at least 4 members of the Nominating Committee and 50% (or more) of the Nominating Committee members must be neither current Officers nor members of the Governing Council. Members of the Nominating Committee may not nominate themselves to be Officers of the WORLD SLEEP SOCIETY.
The Nominating Committee is responsible for the following:
- Announcing the upcoming election no fewer than four months prior to the beginning of voting
- Preparing a ballot for the election
- Placing on the ballot individuals getting at least ten nominations by paid-up individual members of the WORLD SLEEP SOCIETY, received no later than one month before the commencement of voting
- Ensuring least two candidates are put on the ballot for every position of the Elected Council Members, the president-elect, the secretary, and the treasurer.
The 2022 Nominating Committee members include
- Birgit Högl (Austria) – Chair
- Yuichi Inoue (Japan)
- Charles Morin (Canada)
- Judy Owens (United States)
- Clete Kushida (United States)
- Claudia Trenkwalder (Germany)