World Sleep Society invites qualified individuals interested in serving as an officer and/or member of the Governing Council—the leadership structure of World Sleep Society—to self-nominate for the 2019-2021 term by March 15, 2019.
Officers and Governing Council members are elected from membership to serve a two-year term starting at our scientific congress, World Sleep 2019 in Vancouver. Information about World Sleep Society, Governing Council and officers, and committee structure is available within our bylaws. We are seeking candidates to fill 3 officer positions (President-Elect, Secretary, and Treasurer) as well as 5 regional members (one each from Europe, North America, South or Central America, Asia or Australia, and Africa).
Individuals can submit their interest to the Nominating Committee by March 15, 2019 for further consideration. A decision by the Nominating Committee will be made by May 2019 for names to be included on the ballot. Information submitted will be made public if the names are included in the final ballot.
To self-nominate, you must include:
- Letter of interest (maximum of 2 pages) which details:
- Your past leadership roles in sleep medicine and/or research.
- Your vision for the future of World Sleep Society.
- The geographic region in which you are established (for a multi-country practice, select the location you reside in more than 50% of the time).
- Biosketch in CV format (6 page limit). If unavailable, NIH offers a blank template to complete.
- Completed COI form for disclosure of potential conflict of interest that includes past years (January 2017 to January 2019). Review the Conflict of Interest (COI) Policy. Download the COI Form.
Completed nominations must be emailed, mailed or faxed to the World Sleep Society by March 15, 2019.
Mail: 3270 19th Street NW, Suite 109, Rochester, MN 55901
The Nominating Committee is in the process of evaluating several candidates for these positions based on the following factors:
- Prior involvement and/or leadership in a sleep-related organization/society (e.g., officer, board of directors, member, committee chair or member)
- Prominence within sleep medicine and/or research
- Participation in national and international societies
- Academic/professional degree (MD, PhD or equivalent)
- Prior involvement with World Sleep Society, WASM and/or WSF
- Vision for World Sleep Society
- Active engagement in sleep and/or circadian research and/or training, with commitment to the advancement of the field as a whole.
Secondary factors considered include geographic location, area of interest and background experience. World Sleep Society values diversity within the sleep field and recognizes and promotes diversity within leadership positions from individuals with multiple demographics including race, gender, ethnicity, religion, age, sexual orientation and disabilities to ensure an inclusive environment.
Our election process will include at least two candidates for each position on the ballot. The Nominating Committee will develop a slate of candidates by 4 months prior to voting, which will take place from August 25, 2019 until the World Sleep 2019 congress in Vancouver, September 20-25, 2019. Names can be added to the ballot up until one month prior to voting if there is a presentation of 10 names that support the nomination.
The Governing Council term begins in at the World Sleep 2019 Vancouver congress, and concludes at the World Sleep 2021 congress (dates and location to be determined). The President-Elect will automatically transition to the President position until the 2023 congress (date and location to be determined). Thank you for considering this important position within World Sleep Society.
Clete A. Kushida, MD, PhD
2019 Nominating Committee Chair
On behalf of World Sleep Society Nominating Committee